Index for Researchers
Subaru Telescope has a suite of eight facility instruments
providing imaging and spectroscopic capabilities over the full range
of wavelengths from optical to mid-infrared.
- AO188 - Subaru 188-elements Adaptive Optics system - delivers diffraction-limited images in the near-infrared.
- FOCAS - Faint Object Camera And Spectrograph - provides optical imaging and longslit and multi-slit spectroscopy over a 6 arcmin field of view.
- HDS - High Dispersion Spectrograph - provides extremely high-resolution optical spectroscopy.
- HSC - Hyper Suprime-Cam - provides optical imaging over a very large field of view (1.5 degree diameter) with a mosaic of CCDs.
- IRCS - Infrared Camera and Spectrograph - provides high-angular resolution imaging combined with AO188, low-resolution grism and high-resolution echelle spectroscopies over 0.9-5.6 microns.
- MOIRCS - Multi-Object Infrared Camera and Spectrograph - provides imaging and low-resolution spectroscopy from 0.9-2.5 microns over a 4 arcmin x 7 arcmin field of view.
Visiting instruments* [Procedures to carry-in Visiting instruments]
(*) Observing proposals using the visiting instruments/devices must include the relevant PIs as Co-investigators in [ ].
(**) CHARIS, FastPDI, VAMPIRES, and MEC can be used together at the same time as the modules of SCExAO. If user wants to use the modes simultaneously, all necessary instruments as well as the relevant PIs/Co-Is should be included in the proposal.
- CHARIS - Coronagraphic High Angular Resolution Imaging Spectrograph - provides high contrast images of exoplanets, disks, brown dwarfs with SCExAO+AO188. [PIs: J. Kasdin, T. D. Groff, J. Lozi, O. Guyon] (contact: charis_at_astro.princeton.edu)
- FastPDI - Polarization differential imaging (PDI) with a high speed (>kHz) near-IR (950 - 1860 nm) low-noise camera (C-RED One), optimized for high contrast imaging of circumstellar disks with SCExAO+AO188. [PIs: J. Lozi, T. Kudo, O. Guyon] (contact: lozi_at_naoj.org)
- IRD - Infrared Doppler - provides high spectral resolution echelle spectroscopy and radial velocity measurements from 0.97 to 1.75 um simultaneously combined with AO188. [PIs: T. Kotani, M. Tamura] (contact: ird_tech_at_ird.mtk.nao.ac.jp)
- MEC - MKID Exoplanet Camera is a near-IR (800-1400nm) photon-counting low-resolution (R~5) integral field spectrograph optimized for high contrast imaging with SCExAO+AO188. [PIs: B. Mazin, O. Guyon] (contact: bmazin_at_ucsb.edu)
- REACH - Rigorous Exoplanetary Atmosphere Characterization with High dispersion coronography - connects the high-contrast instrument (SCExAO) to the high-resolution IR spectrograph (IRD) at the Subaru Telescope (IRD+SCExAO+AO188). [PIs: T. Kotani, H. Kawahara, J. Lozi, M. Tamura, O. Guyon] (contact:ird_tech_at_ird.mtk.nao.ac.jp, guyon_at_naoj.org)
- SCExAO - Subaru Coronagraphic Extreme Adaptive Optics - delivers high contrast images of the innermost surrounding of bright sources to CHARIS and VAMPIRES. [PI: O. Guyon] (contact: guyon_at_naoj.org)
- VAMPIRES - Visible Aperture Masking Polarimetric Imager for Resolved Exoplanetary Structures - provides diffraction limited scattered-light imaging of circumstellar environments with sparse aperture masking interferometry (non-redundant masking) combining with differential polarimetry. [PIs: P. Tuthill, B. Norris, O. Guyon] (contact: barnaby.norris_at_sydney.edu.au)
- NsIR-WPU - NsIR Wave Plate Unit - is used in IRCS polarimetry mode and a part of SCExAO+CHARIS/VAMPIRES polarimetry mode at Nasmyth IR focus. [PI: M. Tamura] (contact: motohide.tamura_at_nao.ac.jp)
- NIR-WFS - Near Infrared Wavefront Sensor - is located inside the AO188 instead of the visible curvature wavefront sensor of AO188 for SCExAO and IRCS. [PI: J. Lozi] (contact: lozi_at_naoj.org)
- AO36 - Subaru 36-elements Adaptive Optics system - delivers diffraction-limited images in the near-infrared.
- CIAO - Coronagraphic Imager - provides a near-infrared imaging capability in the vicinity of bright sources.
- COMICS - Cooled Mid-Infrared Camera and Spectrograph - provides imaging and spectroscopy from 7.5-25 microns (not available since S20B).
- HiCIAO - High Contrast Instrument for the Subaru Next Generation Adaptive Optics - provides a near-infrared imaging capability in the vicinity of bright sources. Although HiCIAO+AO188 has been extensively used in the SEEDS project and openuse programs, this mode is no longer available since S16B. HiCIAO will be used as a camera combined with SCExAO only (opening until S17B).
- CISCO/OHS - Cooled Infrared Spectrograph and Camera for OHS - provides imaging and low-resolution spectroscopy in the near-infrared.
- FMOS - Fiber Multi Object Spectrograph - provides fiber-fed multi-object spectroscopy from 0.9-1.8 microns over a 30 arcmin field of view.
- Kyoto3DII - Kyoto tridimensional spectrograph II - provides Fabry-Perot / filter imaging and integral field / long-slit spectroscopy in the optical (opening until S17A).
- RAVEN - Multi-Object Adaptive Optics(MOAO) demonstrator - delivers diffraction limited images in 2 science channels to IRCS.
- Suprime-Cam - Subaru Prime Focus Camera - provides optical imaging over a large field of view with a mosaic of CCDs (opening until S17A).
- SWIMS : Simultaneous-color Wide-field Infrared Multi-object Spectrograph - provides simultaneous two-color imaging or 0.9-2.5 micron low-resolution multi-object spectroscopy in a single exposure over a 3.3 arcmin x 6.6 arcmin field of view. [PI: K. Motohara] (contact: kentaro.motohara_at_nao.ac.jp)(opening from S21A to S22B)
A number of exposure time calculators
The following figures and tables should help you decide which
instrument(s) is right for your needs.
|Instrument ||Resolution (slit width) ||Slit length
||250-7500 (0.4") ||6', multi
||32000 (1") - 160000 (0.2") ||3"-15" (depending on WL setting),
60" (for longslit)
||50 (0.9") - 1400 (0.1")
||6.5"-20.0" ||0.020", 0.052"
||5000 (0.54") - 20000 (0.14")
||463-3180 (0.5") ||multi
||70000 ||0.48" (fiber diameter) ||0.067" (FIM)
||100000 ||0.04" in H-band (fiber diameter) ||-
||19-90 ||2.07"(IFU) ||0.016"
|Instrument ||Field of view ||Pixel scale
|FOCAS ||6' diameter
||0.1038" ||13 (5 BBs + 8 NBs)
|HSC ||1.5 degree diameter
||0.1700" ||22 (5 BBs + 17 NBs)
|IRCS ||21" x 21", 54" x 54"
||0.0200", 0.0520" ||20 (7 BBs + 13 NBs)
|MOIRCS ||4' x 7'
||0.1160" ||17 (5 BBs + 12 NBs)
|CHARIS ||2.07" x 2.07"
||1.1" x 2.4" ||0.0153" ||5
||1.5" x 1.5" ||0.0104" ||2
||3" x 3" || 0.0060" || 8 (5 50nm bandpass + 2 NBs + multiband with four 50nm filters)
General enquiries are directed to Dr. Tae-Soo Pyo ().
4 August, 2023
2000-2013 Subaru Telescope, NAOJ. All rights reserved.